Saturday, February 20, 2010

Stepping Out of the Family Circle

When she was twelve years old my daughter Julia announced that she did not want to be a member of our family anymore. She was tired of our rules, chores, and even eating dinner with her sister, two brothers, step-father and me.
“I’d rather just eat by myself in my room and not do anything with any of you,” she stated with her hands on her hips.
My husband Harold, a wise high school principal, stepped in. “You know, that’s a fine idea Julia. We’ll let you live in your bedroom. You don’t have to do any chores, no more babysitting your little brother. You’re on your own.”
“Fine!” Julia snapped.
“But of course this also means that we don’t have to do your laundry, cook your meals or take you to your activities.”
“I’ll get rides with my friends, do my own laundry and fix my own food.”
That night supper was a quiet affair without chatterbox Julia in our midst. I saw her in the kitchen that night fixing a sandwich. The next morning she was waiting for the school bus before I even made it to the kitchen.
Julia kept to herself for the next two days and never once asked for a ride anywhere. Harold reminded the older children that they weren’t to engage Julia in any conversation since she didn’t want to be a member of our family.
By morning of day three I was becoming frantic. How long will this go on, I wondered.
That night Julia appeared at the dinner table, head down with one of her famous letters in hand.
“I’m sorry. I do want to be a member of the family.” She had us read her long missive about the lessons she’d learned the past few days of living alone in her bedroom.
Then we all hugged and Julia, from then on, was very much an active member of our clan. Still is.
Those three days reminded me that struggles make us smarter, more experienced, more understanding and certainly more appreciative of our blessings. I think Julia learned a lot, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment