Friday, February 19, 2010

Snuggles and Struggles

My fiftieth year was a blockbuster. Right before my 50th I went to Hawaii and snorkeled for the first time with a gazillion fish and a few enormous sea turtles. The spring after I turned 50 I went to Europe for the first time in my life, chaperoning twenty-six teenagers, including my youngest son, Andrew. That summer I water-skied behind my brother’s speedboat on the Ohio River. But the most important thing that happened to me during the year I celebrated my 50th was becoming a grandmother for the second time.
Hannah was born a month early with a head full of thick, shocking red hair. The first time I saw her she was in the neonatal intensive care unit at the hospital, attached to all sorts of wires and monitors and sleeping in a heated bassinet. She was so small I wondered how such a tiny baby could survive in such a big world. Her back seemed only a few inches wide as she snuggled into my hand. Her skinny little arms were punctuated with perfectly formed fingers that squeezed my little finger.
Holding and rocking my dainty, darling redheaded granddaughter in that hospital brought on such feelings of joy that during my two-day visit I practically begged my son, Hannah’s dad, to let me go in instead of him during the few minutes each hour that one of us was allowed in the intensive care unit. A number of times Michael gave in and stood outside looking through the thick windows of the nursery while I rock and cuddled my precious grandchild.
As Hannah and I snuggled, I knew without a doubt that no matter what adventures I have, where I go or what I accomplish in the second half of my life, absolutely nothing can come close to the intense feelings and joy of being a mother and a grandmother. I know for certain all my grandchildren will have struggles in life. But knowing our big family is here to surround each member in times of struggle is a comfort beyond measure.
Happy 14th birthday, Hannah Banana Rosanna Dana. May the struggles you have in life be met with grace and may each one of them help you become stronger and more appreciative of your blessings.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Pat,

    Not only will I sign up to be a "follower" but I'll add you to the blog roll on my blog, angiekaydilmore.blogspot.com

    I appreciate your turning 50 comments. I just celebrated my 49th. I've got a ways to go till grandmotherhood, hopefully. My boys are just 15.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat, I could sense that you and Hannah had a special bond even though I've never heard this story. Thank you for sharing this wonderful story.

    ReplyDelete