Friday, February 26, 2010

Never Hug an Alligator

There’s something about alligators that intrigues me so much that I will bike five miles each way to a park to see the ‘gators that live in the lake there. Once, when I first moved to Florida, while riding my bike on the narrow path around the perimeter of that lake, I saw a seven-foot-long ‘gator sunning itself on the shore. I jumped off my bike, grabbed my camera and quietly moved closer and closer to get a good shot.
Five feet from the massive creature I took another step. The gator started to move slowly toward the water. I stepped closer. Just as I lifted my camera I heard a loud nerve-numbing growl and then Pow!...its tail slapped the water. The gator had done a 180 degree turn and was telling me to back off. I raced off on my bike without looking back.
I learned later that an alligator can run as fast as a horse and I’d better hold my distance, especially during mating season. That made me think about all the things in my new life in Florida I had to learn to respect. Like the Florida sun. It too, can be a killer. So I started using sunscreen liberally every time I ventured out from 10am-4pm.
Another thing I need to respect with great care is my diet. There are so many restaurants and early-bird specials down here that it would be easy to eat out three or four times a week. But I need to avoid the high fat, high cholesterol, high sugar, low fiber foods that many restaurants serve.
Most of all I have to respect my relationship with Jack. He needs his time and space, just like I do. His space includes watching football, hockey, basketball and baseball games on TV. He’s retired and enjoys recliner time in between his active lifestyle with me. So I’ve learned to take advantage of the times we’re apart by getting all sorts of things accomplished in my own condo. Writing books is my favorite accomplishment.
Yup. I have to admit those gators have taught me a lot about respecting others as well as myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment